Since our daughter has just moved into a much larger house than the duplex they have lived in for several years she asked me how I stay organized and keep our house clean. I told her I would try to think through the process and give her a “plan of action”. We decided it might be a good blog post because it could possibly help others like her who would like to be better organized. Since the article is rather long it seems best to break it into 3 posts so check back for the complete list of My Rules for Organizing Housekeeping.
*My Number One Rule: I find a place for everything and return it to that place as soon as I’m finished with it. This takes a little discipline but saves so much time in the long run and keeps the house looking so much neater & easier to clean that you’ll be glad you incorporated this rule.
The following list is what I do daily to keep the house looking nice.
- I make the bed as soon as I get up. This only takes about a minute but reflects much on housekeeping to visitors.
- Wipe down the shower and/or bathtub after use.
- Deal with the mail--sorting and throwing away anything unimportant and organizing it into Bills, Coupons, Magazines, etc. (I have a specific place for each of these.)
- Wash the dishes, sink, and counter tops after every meal.
- Wipe off the stove top and any fingerprints from appliance fronts.
- Vacuum (or sweep up with a broom) any apparent dirt in the kitchen and the rest of house.
- If I do laundry daily I fold it as soon as it is removed from the dryer and put it away immediately, (or at least move it to the bed so I will have to deal with it before going to bed. I never allow myself to move it to the floor or dresser from the bed, but instead put it where it belongs.)
- Pick up and put away anything that is out of place such as laundry, clothes, toys, cleaning products, tools, groceries.
(FYI: If you find you are going to have unexpected guests and don’t have much time to prepare, vacuum the floors because that’s the first thing a guest usually sees. When they see a freshly vacuumed carpet they are more inclined to think everything else is clean too, and not look too closely.)
Tomorrow's post will list things that I only do weekly to keep my house clean.